This is one of those that popped up on suggested movies on Netflix. Why did I get it? Two reasons:
1) It's a Brit Lit Flick minus the Chick, and I thought that would be a novel change.
2) Heath Ledger
Strangely, this was on its way when Dan told me of his suicide (my only contacts with the entertainment world news are Dan and the magazine covers on the checkstand. Can anyone tell me why he was on the cover of a magazine with Mary-Kate Olson? Were they an item?)
The movie is about a young soldier named Harry who decides to leave the British army when they find out they will go to battle in the Sudan. His friends and fiance each give him a white feather, which represents cowardice. He realizes that he has made a mistake, and sets out on his own to the Sudan, working in disguise to help his friends in any way he can. There's a little bit of romance, and a lot of action/war scenes. It's main themes are loyalty, redemption, courage, etc., etc. To me it was like a mix between Dances With Wolves and Lawrence of Arabia.
If you're interested in watching this just to appreciate the face of the late Heath Ledger(which honestly I wasn't), don't waste your time, because it is usually in darkness or covered with a beard and lots of tangled hair.
There wasn't much on youtube about this movie, but here is a video that will take you back in time with a good 80's rock ballad. This one had to have been made by a girl, because it focuses on the romance portion that only took up about ten percent of the movie. Of course, I suppose it could have been made by a guy--maybe a fan of Brokeback Mountain?
1) It's a Brit Lit Flick minus the Chick, and I thought that would be a novel change.
2) Heath Ledger
Strangely, this was on its way when Dan told me of his suicide (my only contacts with the entertainment world news are Dan and the magazine covers on the checkstand. Can anyone tell me why he was on the cover of a magazine with Mary-Kate Olson? Were they an item?)
The movie is about a young soldier named Harry who decides to leave the British army when they find out they will go to battle in the Sudan. His friends and fiance each give him a white feather, which represents cowardice. He realizes that he has made a mistake, and sets out on his own to the Sudan, working in disguise to help his friends in any way he can. There's a little bit of romance, and a lot of action/war scenes. It's main themes are loyalty, redemption, courage, etc., etc. To me it was like a mix between Dances With Wolves and Lawrence of Arabia.
If you're interested in watching this just to appreciate the face of the late Heath Ledger(which honestly I wasn't), don't waste your time, because it is usually in darkness or covered with a beard and lots of tangled hair.
There wasn't much on youtube about this movie, but here is a video that will take you back in time with a good 80's rock ballad. This one had to have been made by a girl, because it focuses on the romance portion that only took up about ten percent of the movie. Of course, I suppose it could have been made by a guy--maybe a fan of Brokeback Mountain?

4 comments:
Well, Shelley, let me fill you in on all the important news. Heath Ledger's masseuse called Mary-Kate like 4 times when she found Ledger dead. Then she called 911 after that. "They" say it's common for a person to call a close friend or loved one in such a situation before calling for help.
Wow-I didn't know that Lara and I read all the mags. So --Shelley, I couldn't tell if you liked it or not. Marc loved this movie and therefore bought it back when it came on DVD. I don't remember liking it, but sometimes I don't like things just to spite DH. What a terrible person I am!
Lara,
Thanks for the 411.
Christina,
The first hour didn't draw me in, and so it took me a week to make myself watch the second half, which was really good. I would give it 3.5/5 stars.
In my last people magazine it said that Mary-Kate and Heath like to party together. They liked to hang out at the same places & they casually dated for 3 months.
Post a Comment