Fantasies of a Desperate Housewife

No, this has nothing to do with Ralph Fiennes, Gregory Peck, or Dr. Archung. In actuality, I have often fantasized about selecting a cookbook and making every single recipe in it. So tonight I have begun to make my dreams come true--with Prevention Guide Slow Cooker Recipes, one of the recipe books you buy at the check stand. There are sixty main dishes, five sides dishes and six desserts and y'all are going to hear about all of them! This particular book helps me in two ways: Crockpot meals can be prepared earlier in the day, before the pain in my legs and laziness kicks in; and the recipes are supposed to be healthy. Because they are healthy, I'm not expecting to be wowed, just to be nourished without gagging. Which brings me to tonight's dinner:

Quickest Chicken
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 package dry Italian dressing mix
1 cup warm water or chicken broth (I used chicken broth)

1. Place chicken in slow cooker. Sprinkle with dressing mix. Pour water over chicken.
2. Cover. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours.

This wasn't spectacular, but it was better than other crock pot chicken experiences I have had. The dressing packet gives it a good flavor, and the broth is really good. Five out of six of us ate it, but not all were happy about it. Jeremy put mustard all over his and had seconds--whatever works! Anna fought gagging throughout dinner (which is not surprising for her), and it didn't help that Dan was trying to "get her sugar" while her mouth was full.
I have two crockpots, so I also made a side dish:

Wild Rice Pilaf
1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions
14 oz. low sodium chicken broth
1/2 t dried thyme leaves

1. Coat slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Rinse rice and drain well (Oops, I didn't do this! I hope we'll live.) In slow cooker, combine scallions, chicken broth, and 2 cups water and mix well.
2. Cover. Cook on high 3-4 hours. Add thyme and stir gently, adding salt and pepper to taste.
3. Cook on low 30 to 60 more minutes, or until rice is tender.

This had a good flavor but was pretty mushy. Anna called it "Crazy Rice." I cooked it for 4 hours and if I made it again, I would try just 3 hours. The problem with that is that's just too late in the day--I'd rather get it done in the morning.

Would I make this again? Probably. Mostly because the chicken was WAY EASY. But I would pick another side dish.

3 comments:

Tiffani said...

I am a huge fan of the crockpot so I'll have to try these recipes out.

Lara said...

This is really exciting. I'm looking forward to this whole series!!

Anonymous said...

I love to get recipies that are tried and true. I have only a few, so everytime someone comes over for dinner it's the same things over & over. I am looking forward to the recipie reviews!

Movies Watched in 2009

Baby Mama (B)
The Express (A)
Smallville Season 1 (A)
Smallville Season 2 (A)
August Rush (A)
Quantum of Solace (A-)
Bedtime Stories (B)
Bride Wars (B)
Marley and Me (B)
X-Men (A)
Smallville Season 3 (B+)
X2: X-Men United (A)
Made of Honor (B-)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand (C)
Gattaca (B)
The Jane Austen Book Club (C)
I Am Legend (A-)
Up (A)
Confessions of a Shopaholic (B)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (B+)
He's Just Not That Into You (B+)
Star Trek: Original Series Season 1 (B)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (B+)
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail (B)
Heroes Season 1 (A)
Heroes Season 2 (A-)
Catch and Release (B)
Race to Witch Mountain (B+)
Coach Carter (A-)
Monk Season 7 (A)
Heroes Season 3 (A-)
Wolverine (A)

Archive

 

The Quibbler | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates