Gardening News

In one of my more manic phases, I decided to compartmentalize my life into several blogs, only to come to a point of not updating any of them! Their current status:
  • This blog: As soon as I decided to quit scrapbooking forever and depend upon our family blog to record memories, I stopped blogging. Maybe I need to scrapbook again and then I will blog just to avoid scrapbooking? Whatever it takes.
  • Book blog: Moderation, moderation, moderation . . . A concept I don't understand when it comes to reading. I'm trying, and taking a long break from my blog is one of my strategies. "Hello, my name is Shelley, and I'm a bookaholic." The book-blogging world has been calling to me lately, though, and I may attempt to start again but in more of a low-key manner than before.
  • Music blog: Actually this is one I most actively update. Why? Because it takes about 2 minutes to post a video. In other words, I like music, and I'm LAZY.
  • Weight loss blog: Three words: I GIVE UP.
  • Gardening blog: Apparently when you actually have a garden, you don't have time to blog about it. I've decided to just get rid of the gardening blog and share any cool veggie tales here.
So here is what has gone on in our garden over the last several months:

I wanted another bed, because one is definitely not enough, so I did some double-digging in a 4x8 area. This is a major calorie burner, but it's worth it for great results (in the garden, not on my body unfortunately.)


Dan and Jeremy built the frame for the raised bed which helped Jeremy fill a Scouting requirement.


We filled the bed with some lovely dirt we get from a local garden center. It's awesome stuff!


We also learned from last season that the peas really needed taller support, so here's our new pea trellis. I forgot what this stuff is called, but you use it when you pour concrete to reinforce it:


This was our first little baby, a beet seedling:


Our garden in December:



The peas this month that have grown taller than me, just like my kids:


And these are my favorite, the beautiful and yummy cabbage:


I've been keeping a notebook with gardening notes divided by month, and then I just put the year in the corner, so I can see each month what I did the year before and what to do the same/different. This is another reason I stopped updating the gardening blog because this serves the same purpose only it's better. Of course I haven't always been good about recording everything.


I'm so excited that things grew!!! This is the first time I've done broccoli, spinach, cabbage and beets. Everything has done pretty well except for the broccoli which got a really slow start. I think the temperatures were just too warm the first few months after the seeds were planted, and since the weather has been cooler it has finally started to do something:


What a broccoli feast we'll have!

7 comments:

Lara said...

Awesome! Glad I checked in! You have a green thumb, Shelley.

Lorena said...

I love your garden! :)

Christina said...

I'm so jealous. BTW, is it rebar? What is the benefit of a raised bed?

shanda said...

wow that is amazing we still have snow up hear ut I wish we could plant our garden but not yet

Shelley said...

Christina,
I'm not sure if it's quite the same as rebar, but I'll ask Dan. Check out this link for the advantages of raised beds: http://www.plantcare.com/gardening-guides/raised-bed-gardening/advantages-of-raised-bed-gardening.aspx

Shelley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

Your garden looks amazing. I didn't know peas grew like that...we've never tried growing peas. What do you use to prevent pests? We are clearing out the beds this week, putting in new soil, and then crossing our fingers for the new garden.

Movies Watched in 2009

Baby Mama (B)
The Express (A)
Smallville Season 1 (A)
Smallville Season 2 (A)
August Rush (A)
Quantum of Solace (A-)
Bedtime Stories (B)
Bride Wars (B)
Marley and Me (B)
X-Men (A)
Smallville Season 3 (B+)
X2: X-Men United (A)
Made of Honor (B-)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand (C)
Gattaca (B)
The Jane Austen Book Club (C)
I Am Legend (A-)
Up (A)
Confessions of a Shopaholic (B)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (B+)
He's Just Not That Into You (B+)
Star Trek: Original Series Season 1 (B)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (B+)
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail (B)
Heroes Season 1 (A)
Heroes Season 2 (A-)
Catch and Release (B)
Race to Witch Mountain (B+)
Coach Carter (A-)
Monk Season 7 (A)
Heroes Season 3 (A-)
Wolverine (A)

Archive

 

The Quibbler | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates