Monday, July 6, 2009
The highlight of today was Crater Lake, the bluest lake I've ever seen. The lake was formed from a mountain that erupted and then sunk down into the ground, and then the caldera filled with water only from snow and rain. It doesn't even look real when you look at it. We stopped at the Steel Visitors Center and then made our way around the lake, stopping at view points and doing a couple of easy hikes. At one point, we were rushed at by hundreds of orange butterflies which was pretty entertaining. We ended at the Rim Village gift shop and bought a few souvenirs. Jeremy and Kaylynn both got pocket knives (scary!). Anna bought some rocks and Amy got a stuffed bear that she named Billy. I got my usual Christmas ornament.
I'm trying to think of some of the other details of the day that we will want to remember down the road, but I'm drawing a blank and my brain doesn't want to function at 11:3o at night. I know I did a lot of yelling at kids to stay away from steep ledges, some grumbling about making too many stops to see the same lake, lots of mosquitoes, and pink snow.
I'm trying to think of some of the other details of the day that we will want to remember down the road, but I'm drawing a blank and my brain doesn't want to function at 11:3o at night. I know I did a lot of yelling at kids to stay away from steep ledges, some grumbling about making too many stops to see the same lake, lots of mosquitoes, and pink snow.
Photos of the day:
Jeremy at the foot of Vidae Falls. He and Dan hiked up a little further:

Emily and Amy with Phantom Ship in the background. Jeremy didn't think it looked much like a ship. The water is even more blue than it looks in this picture:

Anna with her blanket wrapped around her with Wizard Island in the background. It was pretty chilly on this side of the lake, and there were a lot of patches of snow, which was pink in some areas. We never found out why:

Playing in some of the snow:

The kids sitting in front of the full-service gas station. Apparently that's how it's done in Oregon? We thought it was pretty weird to have someone else putting our gas in. Another thing about Oregon--no sales tax.


Emily and Amy with Phantom Ship in the background. Jeremy didn't think it looked much like a ship. The water is even more blue than it looks in this picture:

Anna with her blanket wrapped around her with Wizard Island in the background. It was pretty chilly on this side of the lake, and there were a lot of patches of snow, which was pink in some areas. We never found out why:

Playing in some of the snow:

The kids sitting in front of the full-service gas station. Apparently that's how it's done in Oregon? We thought it was pretty weird to have someone else putting our gas in. Another thing about Oregon--no sales tax.

1 comments:
Yea, that is random about Oregon that it is illegal to pump your own gas. Sometimes progress is really regress. I wouldn't mind staying in the car and letting someone else do the work.
Post a Comment