We must all hang together!

I am still without dryer. The part is hopefully on it's way, but in the meantime we've been having some fun (along with too much ironing). I was searching for hanging laundry tips and found these quaint pictures of laundry around the world:

Scotland:


France:



Italy:




Then there's us:




It's such a novelty for the kids that they beg to help! It is kind of fun, if I can learn how to get less wrinkled clothes out of it. Another problem is the weather--it's supposed to rain all week. I was shocked to learn that a lot of homeowner's associations will not allow you to have clothelines outside. Thank goodness I'm not part of one! I do get the neighbors dog barking at me a lot when I'm hanging clothes out. He'll get used to me just when the part comes, I bet.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Do the undies get hung too? I remember our neighbors growing up would hang their finest underwear out on their line. Hope the part gets here soon. I know that feeling. It is amazing how much we rely on those things.

Lara said...

I saw a lot of laundry hanging outdoors in Europe, including my own granny pants. Those pictures you posted are priceless. I think I'll try to get copies to hang in the laundry room. (I've always wanted to decorate the laundry room.) As for the dryer part, where the heck is it coming from, Mongolia?? This also brings back memories of a time in my life when we didn't have a dryer. I, however, did not find it a novelty to be the hanger and bringer-inner.

Tiffani said...

I remember loving to help my mom put stuff out on the line growing up. There's nothing better than the smell of clean sheets that have dried out in the sun. Towels drying on the line are a whole other story, they are a little rough and feel like a very painful loofah on your skin! The pictures you posted reminded me of my days in Brazil, washing clothes by hand and hanging them to dry. At least you have a working washing machine!

Shelley said...

Shoeshine,
Yes we have had our undies up there. Before I bought clothespins, Jeremy's underwear and socks got blown all over the yard!
Lara,
The part is coming from Sears, but I took a while to ship. And we don't even know if it's the part that's going to fix it!
Tiffani,
The worst have been the dishtowels--they came out like cardboard! And I am grateful that I have a washing machine!

Anonymous said...

Cassidy loved the girls hanging their clothes! She said "Mom that looks like fun can we do that? My washer just got fixed on Saturday. I am so happy to own a working washer and dryer.

Movies Watched in 2009

Baby Mama (B)
The Express (A)
Smallville Season 1 (A)
Smallville Season 2 (A)
August Rush (A)
Quantum of Solace (A-)
Bedtime Stories (B)
Bride Wars (B)
Marley and Me (B)
X-Men (A)
Smallville Season 3 (B+)
X2: X-Men United (A)
Made of Honor (B-)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand (C)
Gattaca (B)
The Jane Austen Book Club (C)
I Am Legend (A-)
Up (A)
Confessions of a Shopaholic (B)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (B+)
He's Just Not That Into You (B+)
Star Trek: Original Series Season 1 (B)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (B+)
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail (B)
Heroes Season 1 (A)
Heroes Season 2 (A-)
Catch and Release (B)
Race to Witch Mountain (B+)
Coach Carter (A-)
Monk Season 7 (A)
Heroes Season 3 (A-)
Wolverine (A)

Archive

 

The Quibbler | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates