Decorating Ideas for Your Christmas Tree

Each year at Christmas-time, we have such a wonderful time decorating our tree together, and we treasure the bonding and the memories we create. We place each ornament delicately on the tree and fondly reminisce about past Christmases, vacations that certain ornaments represent, and friends and family who gave us ornaments as gifts. We stand back to adore our creation, and rejoice that the wondrous season of joy is beginning. And then . . . certain children rearrange the ornaments, bunching them all up into one side, or categorically grouping them by type or color. The ornaments become barbie toys, hair accessories and projectile missiles. I grudgingly put them all back on the tree where they belong, only to have the same process repeated on a daily basis.
Now I know this is all hard evidence of my lack of parenting skills. I really should be able to control this behavior. But reading "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" regularly makes me averse to any Nazi-mom behavior around the holidays. So this year I spent $20 on a 3 foot lighted tree that the kids can do WHATEVER they want with, as long as they DO NOT touch the big tree. Here are some pictures of what they have done. Maybe you will want to recreate their decor on your own trees:




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea!
My favorite is Amy's tree!

Tiffani said...

You're such a good mom Shelley. Instead of buying my kids their own tree I've turned into a Nazi-mom and probably totally ruined the magic of Christmas for my kids. I'll have to give your idea a try and reduce my stress level.

Susan said...

Your always thinking, Shelly. What great creations. maybe we can get some of those in a boutique of some kind. Or maybe Michaels is hiring tree decorating help. Send them over.

Lara said...

I don't think we're having a tree this year. We have a village, instead. Our house is just under 2,000 square feet, and "The Village" takes up about 1,500. Or at least it feels that way this year. I just counted thirty buildings, and there's more on the other side of the mountain that I can't even see. I'm not even going to try to count out the population. That will require a government census. "The Village" has become so large that we've had to elect a city planner--Ethan, and a social director--Emily, just to keep things in order so everything is in the right place and all the "Village People" don't get bored. In the interest of full disclosure, though, I should mention that The Village has a very large, nicely decorated tree of it's own. So don't feel too sorry for us here.

Movies Watched in 2009

Baby Mama (B)
The Express (A)
Smallville Season 1 (A)
Smallville Season 2 (A)
August Rush (A)
Quantum of Solace (A-)
Bedtime Stories (B)
Bride Wars (B)
Marley and Me (B)
X-Men (A)
Smallville Season 3 (B+)
X2: X-Men United (A)
Made of Honor (B-)
X-Men 3: The Last Stand (C)
Gattaca (B)
The Jane Austen Book Club (C)
I Am Legend (A-)
Up (A)
Confessions of a Shopaholic (B)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (B+)
He's Just Not That Into You (B+)
Star Trek: Original Series Season 1 (B)
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (B+)
Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail (B)
Heroes Season 1 (A)
Heroes Season 2 (A-)
Catch and Release (B)
Race to Witch Mountain (B+)
Coach Carter (A-)
Monk Season 7 (A)
Heroes Season 3 (A-)
Wolverine (A)

Archive

 

The Quibbler | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates